15 July

When the Drawing Table Grew Up: What I Found in the Portfolio Today

A whimsical mixed-media collage titled "Oasis" by a child, featuring animal illustrations, tiny food and drink icons, and hand-drawn elements arranged playfully to create a search-and-find game.

 

mixed-media collage titled "Oasis" 

 

 

© 2026 Aga, author of Art in Cupboard. All rights reserved.
This original creative work is my own. It may not be copied, reproduced, republished, modified, distributed, commercially used, scraped, used for AI training, or presented as the work of another person without my prior written permission.


There is a specific kind of quiet that settles over a home when the scissors are put away, the glue cap is twisted back on, and the drawing table is left empty. For a long time, that table was a chaotic landscape of bright paper scraps and sudden bursts of energy. But children grow, and the frantic pace of creating slows down into something deeper.

Today, I opened an old portfolio.

In the drawer, I discovered something small that I hadn’t noticed before. It was detail in my daughter’s collage—one of those things that is always there, waiting, but only becomes visible when you finally slow down enough to actually look.

When I first saw her collage years ago, I loved its whimsical energy. She had placed animals in a "plaster of honey" alongside tiny icons of food and drinks, crowning the piece with the distinctive title, “Oasis.” It was a playful game: you had to search the page to find every matching icon. It was fun, loud, and clever.

But looking at it today, in the quiet of the afternoon, I saw the thread that connected her hands to mine.

I remembered my own pen-and-ink drawing—a simple, mindless exercise done during an afternoon tea break. I had sketched various animals: ducks, owls, waxwings, a quiet otter, a rabbit, a lynx. To me, it was just a way to pass the time. But she had studied it. She had looked at those sketched animals and given them names, tracing the lines to figure out who needed shelter, who relied on whom, mapping out the delicate cycles of nature on a scrap of paper.

My quiet afternoon sketch had become her inspiration.

We don't always realise what they are absorbing when they sit beside us at the table. We think we are just sharing a space, but we are sharing a language.



Thank you for visiting my quiet corner of the internet.
© 2026 Aga, author of Art in Cupboard. All rights reserved.
This is my authorised personal blog and contains my original writing, drawings, photographs, and other creative work. All such content belongs to me unless otherwise stated.
No part of this blog may be copied, reproduced, republished, modified, distributed, commercially used, scraped, or used for AI training without my prior written permission.
My work may not be appropriated, claimed as the work of another person, or redistributed through social media, websites, platforms, or other channels without my prior written permission.

No comments: