A quiet moment at my sewing table turns into a series of small, heartfelt projects — embroidered hens, tiny ladybird, rescued T‑shirts, and even stitched versions of my daughter’s drawings. These simple hand‑sewn details bring new life to old fabric and add a little joy to everyday clothes.
A small look at my sewing table — where threads, fabric, and quiet ideas come together. Lately I’ve been stepping away from paper and into fabric, letting my hands wander in a different way. Sewing is slower than drawing, less predictable, and sometimes a little stubborn, but it has become a gentle part of my creative routine.
Stitching Hens and Finding Stories in Old T‑Shirts
Embroidery detail of two red hens on white fabric, creating a bright handmade patch on a black T‑shirt |
One afternoon I cut a small piece of white fabric from my daughter’s old T‑shirt. It felt like giving the fabric a second life. With red thread, I embroidered tiny hens — the kind that run around farms with such personality that you can’t help but smile. When the pocket was finished, I stitched it onto my black T‑shirt. Suddenly the hens were running across my clothes, and it made the whole shirt feel alive.
Turning My Drawings Into Thread
Close‑up of a hand‑sewn design based on a pencil drawing of a girl, stitched in simple lines onto fabric |
Another day I tried something more challenging: sewing one of my own drawings. I chose a girl with a playful ta‑da! pose. Translating a sketch into stitches is not as simple as it looks. I’m a self‑learner, and my drawing was full of little details that thread doesn’t always want to follow. But even with the imperfections, I loved the result. It is now on my t-shirt`s small pocket. Sewing is not the same as drawing in my sketchbook — it’s slower, more patient, and it forces me to simplify. Maybe that’s why I enjoy it.
Borrowing Inspiration From My Daughter
I also made a stitched version of one of my daughter’s drawings. I added a dog on a walk, and the whole scene became surprisingly eye‑catching. Of course, I had to ask her permission. At first she wasn’t sure — she is very protective of her ideas — but in the end she said, “OK, you used it and it looks fine.” A small victory for creative collaboration at home.
Hand‑sewn scene of a girl walking a dog, created from my daughter’s drawing and stitched onto a T‑shirt |
Tiny Ladybird and Hidden Flower
On another shirt, I stitched a tiny ladybird. It’s small and not very visible, but that’s exactly why I like it. A quiet detail, just for me.
Small embroidered ladybird stitched in red and black thread on a T‑shirt |
And then there was my daughter`s the pink T‑shirt with the stubborn food stain. After several washes and a bit of frustration, I decided to hide the mark with a hand‑sewn flower. It’s not perfect, but my daughter loved it — and even grandma approved. That’s when I realised sewing can rescue clothes as much as decorate them.
Simple hand‑sewn flower embroidered onto a pink T‑shirt to cover a stain |
Why I Keep Sewing
These little projects aren’t grand or polished, but they bring a kind of joy that drawing alone doesn’t. Sewing lets me repair, transform, and play. It turns old fabric into tiny stories. It gives me moments of calm, and sometimes a good laugh when things go wrong.
And maybe that’s the magic of it — simple stitches becoming something unexpected.
© 2026 Aga, author of Art in Cupboard. All rights reserved.
This original creative work is my own. It may not be copied, reproduced,
republished, modified, distributed, commercially used, scraped, used for AI
training, or presented as the work of another person without my prior written
permission.
© 2026 Aga, author of Art in Cupboard. All rights reserved.
This is my authorised personal blog and contains my original writing, drawings, photographs, and other creative work. All such content belongs to me unless otherwise stated.
No part of this blog may be copied, reproduced, republished, modified, distributed, commercially used, scraped, or used for AI training without my prior written permission.
My work may not be appropriated, claimed as the work of another person, or redistributed through social media, websites, platforms, or other channels without my prior written permission.
No comments:
Post a Comment