02 May

Simple nature ideas for kids and teens

A short gardening story, plus a few gentle ideas to slow down

 
Tomato plant with flower on top growing in the pot
Our tomato with flower planted together

Lately I’ve been thinking about how easy it is to rush past the day—especially when screens and to-do lists take over. The funny thing is: kids often follow our pace.

If you’re here from Art in Cupboard, you probably care about making home life a little calmer—and making creativity feel safe and enjoyable.

For us, a simple answer has been nature—especially small gardening jobs. They’re practical, they get us outside (or to a windowsill), and they naturally teach responsibility.

And there’s a bonus: when hands are busy, everyone relaxes a bit. It’s easier to be kind, patient, and present—without forcing a “big talk.”

The Lost Skill of Noticing

Noticing is just paying attention to small details. The tiny hairs on a tomato stem. Dry soil versus damp soil. New leaves that weren’t there yesterday. Nature changes slowly, so it invites us to slow down too.

A simple way to practise is with three words: I notice… I wonder… It reminds me of… There’s no right answer. You’re just slowing down together.

A Tomato on the Windowsill - gardening with teens

A few weeks ago, my son (teenage now) and I planted a tomato seedling. It was one of those days after long hours on the computer and gaming—he looked tired and frustrated, and I could tell a “How was your day?” talk wouldn’t go far. I didn’t push. I just said, “Help me for five minutes.”

We started with soil and a pot. He used his hands first, then the small trowel. He said, “It’s cold under here,” and that was the moment I knew he was really present. I asked, “What else do you notice?”

We planted it, pressed the soil gently, and watered until the top turned dark. Now it sits on the window in his room. Most days he checks the tomato with a fingertip, turns the pot toward the light, and waters only when it needs it. The plant is small—but it’s his.

A Small Trick That Makes Time Together Easier

Here’s what helps in our house: do something side-by-side. Water a plant. Repot something. Pull dead leaves. The task gives you something gentle to focus on, and time together feels easier—especially with teenagers.

  • Sometimes I’ll simply say, “What do you see today?”
  • Or I’ll share a tiny story: “I used to overwater—look what happened.”
  • If the mood is light, I can ask: “If this plant grows, what colour will the tomato be?” (not all   tomatoes are red)
  • And some days I say nothing at all—just water, turn the pot, and let it be quiet.
  • At the end I might offer, “Do you want to be in charge of watering or turn the pot?”

Over time, these small moments add up. And later you can turn them into a simple family story: “Remember when the tomato drooped and we fixed it?” It’s a reminder that problems can be solved—slowly, kindly, and together.

This is why I love stories. They can teach gently, without a lecture.

And Then, One Day…

Here’s a short story I wrote about noticing where things come from.

 

There were children who believed everything was free.

Food appeared. Clothes arrived. Holidays happened. New things replaced old ones.

They never asked how.

Their parents smiled and gave—because they remembered growing up without.

They wanted their children to have more, not knowing that more can sometimes hide meaning.

And then, one day, the power went out.

No screens.

No takeaway.

No car that day—only walking.

The children watched their parents mend, cook simply, share, and help a neighbour by candlelight.

No complaints. Just calm hands and patient hearts.

“Why are you not angry?” one child asked.

“Because,” the parent said, “things are not what keep us safe.

People do.”

That night, the children learned something new:

Nothing important is truly free—

but love, effort, and kindness are earned by giving them.

And that is how children begin to grow into good adults.

Moral:

When children learn where things come from, they also learn who they can become.


 

Try This: A 10-Minute Noticing Ritual

1.      Pick one plant to care for together (tomato, herb, any houseplant).

2.      Put it somewhere you pass every day (kitchen, balcony, windowsill).

3.      Ask two questions: What do you notice? and What does it need?

4.      Stop there. Keep it short. Do it again tomorrow.

When kids get stuck with creativity, it’s often because they feel judged or rushed. Nature helps because it doesn’t hurry them. Making something together helps because they don’t feel alone. 

 

Related reading: If you enjoyed this slow, hands-on way of being together, you might also like my older post How to make a diary, scrapbook and journal from scratch papers. It’s another simple “make together” idea—turning paper scraps into a place for family stories, hike notes, photos, and small memories you don’t want to lose.

If you try a windowsill plant with your child or teen, what did you both begin to notice—about the plant, and about each other?

Thank you for visiting my quiet corner of the internet.
© 2026 Aga, author of Art in Cupboard. All rights reserved.
This is my authorised personal blog and contains my original writing, drawings, photographs, and other creative work. All such content belongs to me unless otherwise stated.
No part of this blog may be copied, reproduced, republished, modified, distributed, commercially used, scraped, or used for AI training without my prior written permission.
My work may not be appropriated, claimed as the work of another person, or redistributed through social media, websites, platforms, or other channels without my prior written permission.

No comments: