07 March

How to make a diary, scrapbook and journal from scratch papers


Turn Paper Scraps into Treasured Memories


 

 
Journal and scrapbook diary page example

Do you have old papers, pages, cards, letters, or bits of cardboard lying around? Don’t throw them away — turn them into a diary or scrapbook full of memories! These handmade books are perfect for capturing notes from your hikes, special events, family stories, and old photographs you love.

Get creative by reusing old newspapers and paper calendars, then decorate your pages with charming embellishments like vintage lace, trims, ribbons, or cut‑out pieces from seasonal cards and pictures made by your children or grandchildren. All you need are scissors and a little craft glue or PVA glue to bring everything together.

No glue? No problem!
You can even make your own homemade glue — a simple, sustainable trick from the past. Just mix 1 part all‑purpose flour with 2 parts cold water, stir until smooth, and apply it to your paper scraps. Store the glue in a covered jar or bowl and use it within 3–4 days.

I still remember this homemade glue recipe from my childhood. Everyone knew it back then! It was the perfect rescue for last‑minute school projects when shop‑bought glue ran out — and it’s wonderfully eco‑friendly too.

I once had a huge pile of cardboard covers from my children’s old school books. They were already colourful, which made them even better. Instead of painting each piece by hand, I reused them as they were — saving time while giving new life to something that would otherwise be wasted.

A little imagination is all it takes to turn everyday leftovers into something meaningful.

These are examples of my own creative projects. On the right, I transformed an old notebook into a playful zine by gluing birds cut out from an old calendar. Working on it instantly lifts my mood, and every time I flip through the pages of my scrapbook, I feel happier and more inspired.

On the left is another scrapbook I made using recycled schoolbook covers, held together with an elastic band. This one is my everyday idea keeper—I fill it with sketches and spontaneous thoughts. Later, these ideas come to life as felt figurines and characters, which I then develop into brooches or hanging decorations.

Do you have a favourite memory‑keeping or upcycling idea? Share it in the comments and inspire others too! 


If you enjoyed this slow making of a diary or journal, you might also like my latest thoughts on Simple gardening ideas for kids and teens .
  
 

  


Thank you for visiting my quiet corner of the internet.
© 2026 Aga, author of Art in Cupboard. All rights reserved.
This is my authorised personal blog and contains my original writing, drawings, photographs, and other creative work. All such content belongs to me unless otherwise stated.
No part of this blog may be copied, reproduced, republished, modified, distributed, commercially used, scraped, or used for AI training without my prior written permission.
My work may not be appropriated, claimed as the work of another person, or redistributed through social media, websites, platforms, or other channels without my prior written permission.

4 comments:

Lada Riva said...

Interesting Idea

Aga said...

Good you find it interesting. Please visit for more ideas soon.

Szybki bocian said...

I like your movie.

Aga said...

Thanks, welcome back for more